Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Baby steps

I thought I would share with you guys a few minor victories along the Road to Reducing.  Two things that always trip me up:  habit and opportunity.  So I'm trying to take steps to fortify myself against both of these, and here are some of my early victories.
Inside the Summer Office
You see in the photo above my habit: a cranberry tea biscuit.  Normally, I have one of these everyday around 10.30, just from habit.  I like it that the staff at my local know my standing order and bring it to me at the right time without my having to ask for it.  It's rich and yummy.  But no more.  I've stopped having them.  And I'm just about at the point where I don't miss them anymore.
I don't like these
Opportunity is also a problem.  If there's something yummy around, I'll eat it!  My family tends to complain when I go all draconian on them and stop stocking all deliciousness entirely.  So my challenge is to buy the ones I don't like, and not feel tempted.  As far as sweets go, both my husband and daughter seem to have the moderation gene.  Lucky them!  My daughter has a friend visiting from Montreal for a few days and she had certain expectations for the cupboard supplies.  I bought these faux Peak Freans cookies that I don't like very much and so far I've not been tempted.
I don't like this
It turns out that it is really hard to find ice cream that I don't like.  I spent ten minutes at the grocery store scrutinizing all the ice cream varieties before I decided on cookie dough.  I never eat cookie dough unless it's cooked - and then it doesn't qualify as dough.  I never understood why they made ice cream out of it.

So, yay!  Every little step counts.  Mind you, I have no photos of all the latkes I ate during Chanukah.  Our local supermarket stopped carrying the frozen ones we usually buy, so someone brought us a whole whack of latkes from Montreal.  Not frozen.  Delicious.  I indulged with gusto and sour cream!  But all that's behind me now (no kidding on the "behind")!  Bring on 2010!

3 comments:

  1. good ideas, lesly. it's really hard for me to buy things i don't like. i've found it's easier just to forgo them all together. Or when I'm out at the store and fondling the bagels and a tub of cream cheese, i'll think "no, i have oatmeal at home, I'll have that this week." that way i save money and calories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing great, Lesly. Breaking habits like having a sweet treat with coffee is a tough habit to break (speaking from experience!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo Hoo for you on taking huge steps towards a healthier 2010! I don't buy cookies, hot chocolate, chocolate milk mix and I'm working on getting rid of all chips that aren't baked!

    I made latkes for my family this year and my son loves them! He asks for them all the time now!

    Happy, Healthy and Less of You in 2010!

    ReplyDelete